DELTA 2015: TONY OBUH UNVEILS SELF, SAYS “I WANT TO BE SERVANT TO DELTANS”

20140913-135155.jpg
 Sir Anthony Chuks Obuh has unveiled his aspiration to contest the 2015 governorship elections. Obuh, who recently retired as Permanent Secretary, after 32 years in the  State civil service reaffirmed that he is willing to further serve as a servant to the people of Delta State. 

The governorship aspirant who is a front runner in the race, said at a well-attended media luncheon in Asaba on Friday that “I want to serve further as a public servant. A servant to the people of Delta State that I have always served.”
During the interactive session, he promised to make a formal declaration at the end of his ongoing wide consultation across the state.
“If in the course of consultation, it becomes obvious that majority of our people want me to serve in that capacity, I think the choice I’ll have is to say, “To God be the Glory and Amen!”
Excerpts of the interactive session:
Introduction:
I am Mr. Anthony Obuh from Agbor, Ika South local government area of Delta State. I just concluded my civil service career with a voluntary retirement as Permanent Secretary in August 2014 after 32 years of meritorious service. I am a pensioner but I am still looking for employment somewhere.
I find it necessary because of my service career to meet with some of you and it’s nice for us to share lunch together.
Question: Congratulations on your successful retirement. Why have you chosen to meet with us today? Are you celebrating?
Answer: I’ve known all of you and putting together the experiances we’ve had together and the fact that I’m looking for employment is not wrong. There is the need to chat together and to exploit the possibilities that exist in our environment.
Question: As an Anioma son, What is your opinion about the creation of Anioma state and what position have you applied for in the course of your search for a new job?
Answer: Creation of new states have become a national issue and in fact, the National Conference has already accepted to give the people Anioma state if it is possible to create one. I don’t think that I will stand on the road against the wishes of the people of Anioma.
Secondly, whether I have applied for an employment. Like I said, I’m somebody who believes and lives by popular opinion. Much being that people are saying so many things and circulating my credentials in the media while some have even filed application for me. So, which ever become possible, I will be available.
Question: What necessitated your recent visit to Elder statesman, Chief Edwin Kiagbodo Clark?
Answer: It is true that I was in Kiagbodo to see the Elder statesman, a distinguished Nigerian who has made his mark and has remained topmost in contributing to the development of Nigeria and Delta state in particular.
I am somebody who has been in the public service for 32 years until my retirement. So like i said, I’m looking for further employment. The nature and type of employment, when it would come, is something that would make me consult wide from top to bottom across the spectrum of Delta state.
I went to Chief (Dr.) E. K. Clark to also let him know that I’m in the labour market.
Question: Deltans have been inundated with posters bearing your names as a governorship aspirant, come 2015. What is your impression about these posters or is it part of the job process you are looking for?
Answer: I see the posters as messages of goodwill, an indication for further service and expression of the people’s desire. It is possible that in the course of my consultation and discussion with my family, elders, my record in service and on retirement may be a little prompt to what they are asking for, what I’m looking for and what God will make available for me.
So, to me, all you have been seeing are all messages of goodwill. I like them.
Question: It is a known fact that majority of Deltans, including the Anioma people of Delta North Senatorial District have insisted that you would do very well in governance. Will you choose to disappoint them or concede to their calling?
Answer: I think I have been unequivocal about the fact that I need further employment as a servant. If in the course of consultation, it becomes obvious that majority of our people want me to serve in that capacity, I think the choice I’ll have is to say, “To God be the Glory and Amen!”
Question: Apart from the call by Deltans from different ethnic groups, urging you to contest in the forthcoming governorship election in the state, have you personally made up your mind to contest? And why would you want to contest?
Answer: I am looking for employment. I want to serve further as a public servant. A servant to all of you. A servant to the people of Delta state that I have always served. By the time I finish with my consultations, I will make a public statement and formal declaration and tell you what I have in mind, what I can do and what I expect from all of you. I will seek your indulgence to give me time to continue on that part of consultation.
Have it in mind that I am willing to further serve as a servant to the people of Delta State. Recall that during one of his recent consultative visits, where he told Elder Statesman, Chief E. k Clark at Kiagbado, Burutu Local Government Area of his intention to succeed Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan as the Governor of Delta state, Obuh affirmed that, “My governorship project is not propelled by any individual but a product of a well-thought out consideration.”

Comments