Skip to main content

Suspected fraud plot foiled at Vatican bank

 

Vaticanbankplot.jpg
  • A picture taken Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2013 and showing the building which hosts the Vatican bank, formerly known as the Institute for Religious Works, IOR, inside the Vatican. (AP)
Two men toting a briefcase stuffed with false bond certificates purportedly worth trillions of euros (dollars) tried to bluff their way into the exclusive Vatican bank in a foiled fraud plot, Italian police said Sunday. Financial Guard police Lt. Col. Davide Cardia said the would-be swindlers, who were wearing business suits, tried to convince Swiss Guards at a Vatican City gate earlier this month that "cardinals were expecting them."

Cardia told The Associated Press in a phone interview that the suspects, a middle-aged Dutchman and a U.S. citizen, were detained by Vatican authorities after rapid checks by Vatican officials showed they had no such appointment nor connections with the Institute for Religious Works, the formal name of the bank, which is behind the tiny city-state's walls and isn't open to the public.
The Vatican has been scrambling to upgrade procedures and standards at the bank since a 2010 money-laundering probe.

Cardia said the fake documents purported to be bond certificates for non-Italian companies. "The sum -- worth some 3 trillion euros (more than $4 trillion dollars) -- is impressive, even though it's only symbolic because we're talking about false" certificates, said Cardia, in charge of the financial police's operations in Rome and surrounding area.

Investigators suspect the men might have planned to use the fake bonds as security to open a hefty line of credit through the Vatican bank. The Vatican asked Italian authorities to help in the investigation. Italian police searched the men's room at a hotel near the Vatican and seized stamps and seals used to create the false documents, Cardia said.

Both suspects, whose names weren't released by police, had been previously investigated for attempted fraud in Asian countries, Cardia said without elaborating. They were issued citations and released on their own recognizance pending further investigation, since Italian law doesn't require arrest for investigation of attempted fraud, according to the official. Both are believed to have left Italy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OBOREVWORI: How Not To Glorify A 'One Chance' Governor - By Zik Gbemre

It is appalling how, in desperation to sustain its thieving hegemony over the Delta State Government since 1999, the Delta PDP had the audacity to impose the weakest, most uninformed contender, a local champion, as Governor over a state replete with accomplished men and women of immense capacity. Given this unenviable privilege, one would have expected the fortunate placeholder governor, Sheriff Oborevwori—whose only election campaign manifesto was pledging to improve on the failed leadership of Ifeanyi Okowa, his predecessor—to engage creative minds and individuals of proven integrity to assist him in making a difference. Rather than doing the needful, Oborevwori has worsened matters by electing to engage the same spent leaders, deadwood, and gluttons that have gained prominence in running the state down over successive administrations. The result has been a government of mediocre officeholders competing to run the state for their pockets at the detriment of the populace, under a gove...

EDO GUBER ELECTION: Omo-Agege, Faith Majemite, Others Appointed Into APC National Campaign Council

Ahead of the September 21 governorship election in Edo State, the National Working Committee of the All Progressives Congress (APC) unveiled a 197-member council on Wednesday to lead its campaign. According to the list released by APC National Organising Secretary, Sulaiman Argungu, Cross River State Governor Bassey Otu has been appointed as the chairman of the campaign council. Governor Otu will be supported by Katsina State Governor Dikko Radda as co-chairman and former Edo State Governor Adams Oshiomhole as deputy chairman. Other members of the 197-member team include Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, who will serve as Assistant Secretary; Senate President Godswill Akpabio; Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas; Minister of Aviation, Festus Keyamo; Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun; Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu; Hon. Faith Majemite; and other governors elected on the APC platform. The recently reinstated Deputy Governor of Edo, Philip Shaibu, who recently defecte...

THE ENDURING LEGACY OF LEADERSHIP: Chief James Ibori Celebrated for His Impact on Delta State

On Friday, May 31st, during the funeral service for the Late Asagba of Asaba, the essence of true leadership was vividly displayed. The service featured the introduction of various dignitaries, including Senator George Akume, Secretary to the Government of the Federation who represented President Bola Tinubu, Governor Sheriff Oborevwori, Governor Godwin Obaseki, and Former Governor Ifeanyi Okowa. As each dignitary was introduced, the church remained silent. However, the atmosphere dramatically changed when the name of Former Governor James Ibori was announced; the congregation erupted in wide jubilation and applause. This reaction was so profound that even Senator George Akume and Governor Obaseki could not hide their astonishment. The enthusiastic reception for Chief James Ibori during this solemn occasion highlighted his enduring legacy among the people of Delta State. Despite having left office seventeen years ago, he continues to be celebrated whenever he attends public functions i...