DELTA 2015: TONY OBUH VOWS TO PROTECT INTERESTS OF ALL DELTANS


DELTA State governorship front runner on the platform of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Sir Anthony Obuh, has promised to address the fears and anxieties of all ethnic groups in the State, if elected. Obuh, 57 said having served Delta State in various capacities in the last 32 years he had the requisite experience, exposure and acumen to take the State to the next level.

Essentially, he said his driving goal was to leave a lasting legacy in the State. In a no-hold barred chat, the Delta North-born aspirant spoke on how he was going to pursue the Delta Beyond Oil programme, tackle insecurity, create jobs, fight corruption and ensure ethnic harmony in the State, among others.

Stressing the need for an experienced and exposed candidate to succeed Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan in May, he said: ‘’I believe that if someone who does not know what the State needs is voted into office, the State will stagnate for a while. I believe that there could be continuity on the part of progress so we can improve the fortunes of the State. We have to build more on the solid foundation that we have at the moment. My dream is to help Delta State to grow the more as one of the leading states in Nigeria.’’

Asked if his aspiration was informed by the belief that his Delta North senatorial district appeared favoured to produce the next governor, he said: ‘’I am not hinging my aspiration on the fact that I am from Delta North. I told someone that I want to be seen as Nwobodo (a son of the larger Delta community). I am running because I see myself as a candidate who will represent all the ethnic nationalities in the State. I am someone who represents the three senatorial districts.’’

Obuh, who described himself as the best aspirant on the prowl given the feedback from his consultation visits to all the 25 local councils of the State, said his dream was to take the State to the zenith of development, envisioned: ‘’I want to take the State to a point where it can be seen as one of the leading States in the country. I want the State to be a point of reference beyond Nigeria. I have been exposed to government and governance. I have been in government for 32 years. I started from the lower cadre learning how policies are formulated and executed. I also watched policies being implemented between the public servants by the political class. My exposure is such that I know what it can take to implement a sound policy. I also know what leads to failure of policies.


‘’Therefore, I believe that I have more experience than any of the other aspirants. There are so many things that we can do to grow Delta State. The windows are just being opened. From what we have today as Delta Beyond Oil, it is obvious to us that the lives of the people can be advanced. I want to grow a state that will depend on things outside oil. For instance, tourism is an aspect of the peoples’ lives that can help us generate the revenue that will sustain our economy. I want to build a State that will be financially independent without dependence on what it will get from the federation account on a monthly basis.’’

Comments