PROF SAGAY UNDER FIRE FOR SAYING NYSC IS “NOT IMPORTANT” IN DEFENCE OF KEMI ADEOSUN

Prof Itse Sagay has come under heavy criticism for saying the National Youth Service Corps scheme is not important.
Sagay told The Nation on Friday that the scheme, which is compulsory for all Nigerian graduates, was inconsequential in determining the capacity of any individual.
The Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) was reacting to a question on allegations that Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun, forged her NYSC certificate.
Adeosun, since the revelation, is yet to publicly react to the claim.
Sagay said Adeosun’s expertise is very important to this administration and that she cannot be allowed to go just because of an NYSC certificate.
“Let me tell you my reaction. This woman is a brilliant and extremely valuable member of this government,” he said.
“A lot of the good things happening now – the welfare that Nigerians are enjoying and are going to enjoy, because it takes time, and the way our economy is booming, how we got out of recession – are due to her expertise, her commitment, her sacrifice.
“There is nothing in this world that will make me remove such a woman from the government. The PDP can weep from now until there is no tear in their body; she is going to be there.
“We cannot afford to lose that woman. Who cares about youth service? I don’t bloody care whether she did youth service or not. It’s irrelevant as far as I am concerned. I don’t believe it. I don’t see anything serious about not doing youth service. I don’t see anything serious about it.
“That’s my own bias, not government’s. I’m telling you now. If I were President Buhari, I would never, ever touch that woman because she’s damn good.” he said. 
Nigerians have criticised Sagay for his position on the issue, particularly as he is very familiar with the rule of law.

NR


Comments